The 2019-2020 school year is off to a great start! Students have been doing an awesome job getting ready for in-school rehearsals and helping with our instrument/equipment care goals. We have a busy week ahead with several band appearances. Some of these performances do not involve the whole band, so please make sure to check out the Upcoming Dates at the end of the bulletin.
DEADLINE: This THURSDAY is the Show 1/Pregame Music Check-Off deadline for all non-leaders. Let’s keep working towards our goal of 100% memorization by our first game on August 30th!
MEET THE BAND – MONDAY!
We apologize for the misinformation out there about Meet the Band. The correct date/time is what was listed in the Band Handbook/Schedule that went out in the Summer Mailing, MONDAY, AUGUST 26th at 8:30pm. Please contact Mr. Rex if you encounter any postings/communication that differ from the original 2019-2020 Band Schedule.
In addition to the premier performance of the 2019 Marching Bees, pre-ordered Spirit Wear and pictures will be available for pick-up. Yard sign orders are NOT in and will be distributed at a later date. Our Band Boosters will also have stadium/lap blankets for sale that were made by repurposing our old raincoats. The cost is only $10.00 to help keep you warm and dry in the bleachers.
Other items for sale will include: Backpacks – $12.00, Yard Signs – $12.00, Car Magnets – $6.00, Umbrellas – $5.00, Vintage Raincoats – $15.00, and past Marching Bees CDs – $5.00.
DATE CHANGE – CONSERVATORY DAY
With anticipation of the Wind Ensemble and Concert Winds performance at Severance Hall on January 26th, we have decided to move Conservatory Day up to SATURDAY, JANUARY 11th to prepare for this incredible performance. This is a REQUIRED date for ALL Wind Ensemble and Concert Winds members. We will be bringing in a guest conductor and clinicians on every instrument to help us prepare for this monumental performance. Thank you in advance for making this change!
FIRST HOME GAME – FRIDAY, 8/30
We are very excited about our first home game this Friday against Olmsted Falls! A few reminders for students and parents as we prepare to LOOK GOOD:
- Call time is 5:45pm
- ALL Students (except flagline) need to report wearing their 2019 Marching Bees black t-shirt that was issued by Band Boosters, athletic shorts, and plain BLACK socks that go above the ankle. Part of students’ performance grade is adhering to uniform expectations.
- Students should come fed and hydrated.
- ALL hair must be up in the uniform hat and off the collar of the coat. Bobby pins and hair spray may be needed to accomplish this. Headbands/hairbands are permissible as long as they are black. NO BANDANAS!
- Dinkles must be clean and free of any dirt.
- Gloves must be white. Dirty/dingy gloves are not permitted.
- Only black/clear/gold/silver studs are permitted in piercings that are approved by the BBHHS Dress Code.
- Students are expected to stay in the stands and “On duty” ready to play at all times during the game. Students must ask permission to use the restroom and may be escorted by a chaperone. Students are given 3rd quarter to visit the concession stand and meet with friends and family.
- After the game, uniforms must be hung up correctly and instruments stored correctly. This is also part of students’ performance grade for the evening.
FIELD PASSES: Due to increased security measures at home football games, school administration is requiring field passes to enter the field/track/band stands area. The band will only have enough passes for directors, staff, assigned chaperones(per Annette Zywiec), and select guests. Unfortunately, that means parents and alumni will not have open access to come visit the band during the game as they have in past years.
HOMECOMING & SHOW 2
Our second halftime show, DISNEY, is posted under “Music & Documents” and ready for students to begin individual practice. We will start working on this magical halftime after Labor Day and premiere it on October 4th. The music check-off deadlines for Show 2 are below:
- Section Leaders/Officers – 9/20
- Squad Leaders/Librarians – 9/27
- All others – 10/3
Show 2 may seem like it is over a month away, but don’t forget that we also have Homecoming check-off dates fast approaching. My Girl and Le Regiment music check-off deadlines are below. Students must be checked off in order to decorate their instrument.
- Section Leaders/Officers – 9/6
- Squad Leaders/Librarians – 9/13
- All others – 9/19
- Monday, 8/26: Meet the Band, 8:30pm (CT @ 6pm)
- Tuesday, 8/27: Drumline Rehearsal, 6pm-9pm
- Wednesday, 8/28: Jazz Ensemble @ Open House, 7pm (CT @ 6:30pm)
- Thursday, 8/29:
- BBH Love Rally(Student Leaders ONLY), CT @ 6pm
- Flagline Rehearsal, 6pm-9pm
- CHECK-OFF DEADLINE FOR SHOW 1
- Friday, 8/30: HOME FOOTBALL vs. Olmsted Falls, CT @ 5:45pm
- Tuesday, 9/3: Marching Band Rehearsal, 6pm-9pm
- Wednesday, 9/4: Drumline Rehearsal, 6pm-9pm